A Guide to the Documentation Required on a KNX Project
The successful delivery of a project is directly related to the level and quality of the documentation. This covers all aspects of the project from initial contract through completion to maintenance and support. The following is a recommended set of documents:
- Outline of the system covering user interfaces and how the mechanical and electrical elements will be controlled. This establishes the requirements for the next documents.
- Outline of the general system wiring showing how the system is installed and connected. This should be simple enough for non-technical parties to understand.
- Either represented graphically or in spreadsheet format, this document will contain all circuits, channel allocations, loadings and KNX programming information for both the lighting and the HVAC system.
- Showing the functionality of all user interfaces. This is often an overlooked document but very critical as it details how the system will work and establishes the customer expectations. It is worth adhering to this religiously until after practical completion otherwise it is very difficult to prove the system works as initially priced and specified.
BILL OF MATERIALS (BOM)
- Generated from the above with all the parts required at first, second and final fix.